Saturday, October 6, 2007

Hee Haw. $2500 Grand Sierra Main Event

Only 85 people showed up to play this one. 1 hour levels, 5000 chips. This is the kind of tournament that I would like to play on at least a monthly basis. Enough chips and time for some play, and a buy-in that puts some decent players in the game. This is why Vegas is great-- you can play a $1060 at the Bellagio twice a week.

Anyway, I chip down a bit and then an old guy raises to 225 in EP. I call with 22. This guy "EP" who we have been calling "Eskimo" (although i think he's hispanic) flat calls also. Nice. Flop is 7-3-2 with two hearts and I've flopped a set. Yee-haw. I don't figure to win much though-- the flop I want is A-Q-2 or the like. Old guy leads out for 500, I make it 1500 and Eskimo repops it to 3000 or so. Wow. Old guy folds. Well, it is certainly possible that he has 33 or 77 and I'm toast, but an overpair or a flush draw is much more likely. I push. He tanks. Good. It means for sure he doesn't have 77, and maybe he has 33. Eventually he calls and shows JJ. He misses and I double up.

I really don't do much after that. I win my share of pots pre-flop, and don't play any big pots. I get moved to Champie Douglas' table. At 100-200 a guy makes a min raise to 400 UTG+1. Folded to me in the BB and I have AKo. I make it 1400. He turbo 4-bets me another 2000. He has me covered. Yuck. I tank a bit and eventually muck. My ace flips face up. He tells me later he had KK. Good laydown.

I make a steal raise with 95o and get called. Flop comes Q-5-3 and I check-call a 1/2 pot bet. Meh. What am I doing in this hand? There are 2 hearts out there and if another one comes I'm taking the pot with my fake flush. Turn is another 3. I check, player bets 2000 and I'm done with the hand and my stack is a bit shorter. Stupid.

I get AA and win the blinds. Meh.

A fairly aggro player raises to 625 and I repop him to 2000 from the BB with KQo. He folds. Someone notes that "that move has been suiting you well all day." Hmmm. I don't remember reraising preflop much. Besides the AA, the biggest pocket pair I had was 77. I have been fairly aggressive post-flop though, letting people take stabs at pots and then coming over the top. Clearly the next time I do this I will have a big hand...

But before anything else happens they move me to a much more laggy table. This really sucks, as I had pretty good reads on the players and was chipping up. I raise the first couple pots pre-flop and take them down. We go to 200-400/50. A player goes all in for abotu 4200. I have around 9000 and look down at 66 in LP. I'm thinking about calling, but before I can act, the big blind announces "call." Well, that makes my decision for me. I muck, and my cards hit the dealer and turn up. The raiser has AKdd and the caller 99. Flop comes 9-6-x, two diamonds. Wow. Good thing I mucked, because if I came along I'm pretty sure the pocket nines weren't folding. Next card is another diamond and the AK doubles up. Dodged that one.

A little later and I'm down to 7500 or so. I raise in LP with K9ss. BB calls. Flop comes Q-Q-J, two diamonds. Check-check. Turn is 9d. BB checks. We have about the same stack size, (he covers me slightly) and any bet one of us makes pretty much committs us to the pot. I dunno why, but I thought he had nothing and if I bet I win. Betting half my stack looked awkward (at least to me) so I just pushed. He instacalls with A5dd. Right into the nut flush i push! Idiot. I think I'm drawing dead, but actually a Queen would save me. And then BOOM- a queen comes on the riv-------------------------no. not really. nothing comes on the river and I'm out and I kick and hee haw my way out of there. Yuck. What a moronic play. Just awful.

No comments: