Saturday, June 6, 2009

Event #13 $2.5k NL

I draw a fantastic starting table. Half the table seems like they've never played before-- two of them actually ask the dealer if its OK if they take a bathroom break. Several of them make these insane beginner bet sizing errors that just waves a big flag screaming "I'm a donk- take my chips" Unfortunately, my spots are thin and while I do chip up somewhat, I don't get that big double up opportunity. I am being pretty good at not calling anything from the blinds though, and when I enter a pot out of position its for a raise. I'm just going to make this a policy.

I raise in MP with AJs and one of the bad players calls from the BB. Flop is T-T-4 and I have the flush draw. He checks, I bet 600 and he check-raises to 3000. Sheesh. He really shouldn't do this if he has a ten in his hand, but he is capable of anything. He also didn't really leave himself enough chips to fold, but I don't know if he knows this. If my overcards are good, I have between 14-15 outs if I shove. I really want to shove, but I also think that the definition of a semi-bluff is that I have some fold equity, I decide that I don't and I give it up. He shows me red 77 and I'm wondering if I left my balls in the hotel room.

I get up to 13K or so chips and raise in EP with 66. Only the BB calls and I cover. Flop is Q-T-9. Check-check. Turn is a 6 and I think I have gin. He bets 800, I make it 2000, he tanks and after a very long time he shoves another 2500. Damn- I wasn't expecting that. I call and he has 99 for a better set and I'm not happy.

I get moved to another table with Shaun Deeb, Brandan Shaffer, Svetlana something or other who won the ladies' event one year, and "The Boss" An Phan or something like that. I pick up KK and somehow get 3 streets of value and get my stack healthy again. Nothing remarkable happens and I go to dinner with about 12K- below average but playable. Back from dinner I pick up 99 in EP and raise, only to be called by An Phan in the BB. He's very aggressive and I was hoping he would raise so I could just ship it. Flop is T-high and I c-bet and he calls. No more money goes in the pot as the turn and river bring a queen and an ace and he tables AQ. Yikes and blech.

The player next to Phan is pretty short and has open shoved a couple times. He does so again, shoving 6500 at 200-400/50 and I have ATo in the SB. Not really what I'm after, but I only have about 8000 chips myself and I need chips. His range should be 22-JJ, Ax, and KJ+ I suppose, so I think I'm either in front of his bad ace or I'm flipping and that's OK. I call and he tables AQ and holds and I'm crippled. Deeb takes me out a couple hands later. Blech. Went out around 390/1088, paying 117. A little closer than yesterday, but not close enough!

No comments: