Friday, May 4, 2007

Rebuys... and Cowboys






I always rebuy as soon as I can for as much as I can. This advice has been given by multiple authors and I think its sound. There is something about covering all the other people who dont rebuy. Here's a hand from last night which demonstrates the difference between short stack, fast tournaments and slow deep-stack ones.

First hand and I have 2000 chips and raise the 25-25 blinds to 125 with KK in MP. I make some crack that I have to raise the first hand because I'm a maniac and many of the regulars at the table nod their heads in agreement. A guy in LP repops it to 350. He started with 900 chips, as he had the original 800 plus a 100 bonus for playing live games. Folded to me.

So what's my play here? Usually in a short stack tourney (the villain only has 550 left) I just jam here. There really isn't room for a smaller raise, is there? If I call, what am I going to do on the flop? I'm pretty much gonna jam any flop I think, although I suppose an arguement could be made for check-folding if an Ace flops. But in reality, I'm so far ahead of this guys holdings almost every time that I should just get his money in pre-flop so he can't get away from his JJ or AK or whatever monster he thinks he has.

As I'm grabbing my stack he says, very Jamie Gold-like "You wanna go all-in?", and despite what should clearly be a red flag I respond "Yeah", push in my stack and he beats me to the pot with his AK.

After losing half my stack on that suckout, I came back pretty well. Eventually I catch AKo UTG with blinds at 50-100. I have about 1800 left. I make it 300. I get two callers. Then someone goes all in for 1200. Then the next guy goes all in for 1800. Back to me. Again, this demonstrates why I would really like to limit my tourney play to deepstack events. What choice do I have here except to call? I must be behind, and the fact that there were so many people interested in this hand makes me wonder how many of my 6 outs are really still alive. The good news is that the second all-in guy is a complete donk and has shown some awful awful hands. I call. The two initial callers fold. I'm up against 99 and K8s ???!!!. Flop comes three babies with two clubs and the K8 has a draw. Turn is an off-suit Ace!!! Wow! What a monster stack I will have if I can just avoid a club or a 9 on the river.... Here it comes.. 9 of clubs. I love this game.

No comments: